Midi Cable from Keyboard to Fatman

Free-for-all discussion about PAiA products and the kinds of audio you produce with them.
skip~jones
Hometown: Mount Laurel
Favorite topic: polyrhythm
Super Robot Smashing Puzzle Time!: 12

Midi Cable from Keyboard to Fatman

Post by skip~jones »

I am building a FatMan (having a ball by the way- I haven't done any serious soldering since the seventies (excuse the alliteration)) and know nothing at all about the workings of midi devices. I am looking at small (25 or 32 note) "midi" keyboards on Amazon to use to test/play with the FatMan when complete. They all now seem to use USB as the Midi output. I'm not sure what kind of cable I'll need- I see many with a USB connector at one end and 2- 5 pin DIN connectors at the other (one for midi in/ one for midi out). Will this type of cable carry the midi signal from the keyboard to the FatMan input?
Thanks in advance for any help or advice on this.
toneman
Hometown: sacto texas
Favorite topic: electric vehicles

Re: Midi Cable from Keyboard to Fatman

Post by toneman »

Hello Skip,
I've always used my ancient Yamaha SHS-10 for testing midi ins&outs.
Just used a regular 5pin MIDI cable to test the synth engines in various synths
https://www.synthfind.com/category/yamaha/shs-10/
Any recent keyboard should have MIDI (?)
Dont know about the USB-2-MIDI that U speak of. (?)
IF U THINK U GOT A GOOD DEAL....U DID!!
PAiA-Scott

Post by PAiA-Scott »

Look for one with the 5 pin DIN... Maybe a second-hand, unit that would double as a keyboard instrument too. Then you'd be able to play chords and have the FatMan sound along with it, or, on its own. The cables that have usb on one end and DIN on the other are for use with a computer and proprietary software (ie Yamaha devices/programs) although it is possible to get in and out of the computer, by finding and using a program (oopic???) for converting the USB to MIDI. Arturia has some great controllers featuring both DIN and USB for MIDI for a reasonable price.
Scott Lee
scott@paia.com
skip~jones
Hometown: Mount Laurel
Favorite topic: polyrhythm

Post by skip~jones »

Thank you both. I did actually find an inexpensive 25 note MIDI keyboard on eBay that has the 5 pin DIN output jack, so I can use a simple DIN male to male cable.